There’s a haunted house in the west end of Fort Madison that sits on the bank of a ravine called Dry Creek.
James Dixon, a section hand on the Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad lived there with his family for a few weeks in 1898.
One night they heard footsteps outside their door. The sounds came up almost to the door. There was a loud stomp, and then nothing. The family supposed it was a neighbor playing tricks on them.
|The old haunted house sat in a ravine off Dry Creek in the West end of Fort Madison.|
(from The St. Louis Globe-Democrat. January 16, 1898.)
It happened again night after night. The footsteps came right up to the door and stopped. When James opened the door there was nothing, just open space.
The next time he heard the sounds James was ready—he had a gun. When the footsteps stopped, he fired two shots through the door. Still nothing, except two holes in his door.
Another time, the steps didn’t stop at the front door. They walked around the house and then came up the basement stairs. A few days later Mrs. Dixon went to get a drink of water and she saw the shape of an old man with gray hair near the basement stairs.
The next time the old man appeared, the family heard strange noises, and found pools of a liquid that looked like blood on the floor.
That was all they could take. Mr. Dixon packed up his family and moved away. After that, hundreds of people flocked to the house hoping to solve the mystery.